On October 20 th the Church celebrated the Feast of St. Margaret Mary Alacoque. In the 1600s, Jesus revealed to St. Margaret May Alacoque His wish for her to spread devotion to His Sacred Heart. This devotion was officially added to the Church calendar by Pope Pius in 1856. Pope Pius stated how devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus is related to Christ’s love for humanity:
“His Heart, more than all the other members of His body, is the natural sign and symbol of His boundless love for the human race. The Sacred Heart expresses the image of the infinite love of Jesus Christ which moves us to love in return.”
St. John Choir Schola is consecrated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus. One way we live out this devotion is through our Prayer Guild, whose members daily consecrate SJCS to the Sacred Heart of Jesus. Another way is by celebrating nine consecutive First Friday Masses in honor of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. These First Friday Masses are beautiful opportunities for our community to come together, to offer the Sacrifice of the Mass, and to express beauty through Sacred Music. It is in our celebration of First Friday Mass that we regularly live out our moto “Ad Deum Per Candorem” – “To God Through Beauty”.
We pray that Jesus would shelter our Schola in His most Sacred Heart so that it may be a place that gives glory to God and the leads us to deeper love for Him and others. It is a great blessing to be able to have the opportunity to celebrate First Friday Mass as a community! We warmly encourage all who are able to come, sing with praise and adoration, and place our Schola, families and homes in the care of the most Sacred Heart of Jesus.
The Promises of the Sacred Heart of Jesus to St. Margaret Mary:
(1) I will give them all the graces necessary in their state of life.
(2) I will establish peace in their homes.
(3) I will comfort them in all their afflictions.
(4) I will be their secure refuge during life, and above all, in death.
(5) I will bestow abundant blessings upon all their undertakings.
(6) Sinners will find in my Heart the source and infinite ocean of mercy.
(7) Lukewarm souls shall become fervent.
(8) Fervent souls shall quickly mount to high perfection.
(9) I will bless every place in which an image of my Heart is exposed and honored.
10) I will give to priests the gift of touching the most hardened hearts.
(11) Those who shall promote this devotion shall have their names written in my Heart.
(12) I promise you in the excessive mercy of my Heart that my all-powerful love will grant to all those who receive Holy Communion on the First Fridays in nine consecutive months the grace of final perseverance; they shall not die in my disgrace, nor without receiving their sacraments. My divine Heart shall be their safe refuge in this last moment.
St. Margaret Mary, pray for us.